– 70% of employers use social media to screen candidates
– 57% are less likely to interview a candidate they can’t find online
– 54% have decided not to hire a candidate based on their social media profiles
– 92% of recruiters use social media in their outreach; 55% use Facebook, 87% use LinkedIn
– 67% who used social media to find their most recent job used Facebook
Did you notice that a full 87 PERCENT of recruiters use LinkedIn to reach out to candidates? And that the vast majority of employers weigh your positive or negative presence in social media heavily in making hiring decisions?
These are facts that need careful consideration in your career management strategy. I recommend two action steps:
- Make sure that you have a complete and engaging LinkedIn profile, and that you actively build a robust network.
- If you are an active Facebook or Twitter user, think before you post, tweet, add photos, “Like,” or choose friends. Do none of these things unless it would be perfectly OK for your current employer, a potential employer, or a recruiter to see it.
Thanks to the Career Thought Leaders Consortium for these informative statistics. As a charter member, I have long enjoyed the highly relevant career-related information included in their newsletters, and this month is no exception.